Sunday, November 18, 2007

Steak!

Last night, Steve's boss was supposed to come over for dinner. Nothing fancy or business related, he just wanted to have some of our cooking. Like last week (when he said he'd be over for dinner as well), he never showed up. Well that meant more steak for us then.

I've always enjoyed steak, ever since I was little I liked having steak. For years I didn't eat steak for some reason, but as of recent have been eating it more. I'm picky when it comes to meat really. I don't really like gristle, the texture bothers me. Meat has to be just right pretty much for me to enjoy it. Yet almost anything fruit or vegetable related I'm willing to try. I'm just picky with meat, and really don't like seafood.

For last night I tried a teriyaki marinade on a London Broil style steak. With it I made roasted potatoes with balsamic vinegar. I also tried a broccoli casserole, it was a recipe I found in a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook I picked up for a dollar at a local thrift shop.

I've gotten better at steak, normally Steve will pan-sear it, but I broiled the steak last night. I think I have it down, before I would end up overcooking it and the meat would be dry. This time it was nice and juicy. I can't really count how many times I've made the balsamic potatoes, they're just so good. I love the tangy taste of balsamic vinegar, which complimented the herbs well. It's even better how the vinegar will carmelize over the potatoes, which soak in some of the flavor.

I discussed making the broccoli casserole for Thanks giving with my Dad. He thinks it sounds like a good idea, but we have to get the approval of my ultra-picky sister first. The ironic part is she's living with her culinary arts major boyfriend. We'll see how she feels about the broccoli though, rather than just plain steamed broccoli. The sauce it's in is a creamy, stew broth like sauce with lemon juice, and there's shredded cheddar and toasted almonds topping it off. It's quick and easy but brings some good flavor. Of course to top it off for a good meal, we had wine. This time it was a 2005 Fat Bastard merlot. It tasted sort of like fall in a glass, crisp and earthy. It was very delicious though. In fact as I'm typing this I'm having more of it with cheese and crackers. Steve's boss really missed out.

No comments: