Thursday, November 15, 2007

Pasta Primavera and Spur of the Moment Meals

We're really trying to post more here, can't guarantee how frequent posts will actually be. Both of us are fairly busy, I have work and school, Steve has work and his frequent distractions.

It's been one of those days, more like one of those mid-weeks? Things have been odd lately. It's been snowing all day so I didn't bother planning ahead for dinner, didn't want to go to the store. Make do with what we have right? Okay, have some food, have some wine. Decided to go with a pinot grigio and brought up the nifty applet from wine answers.

Pasta primavera it is! I have made this previously and I found a nice, simple recipe that doesn't require enough food for feeding a small army. It was something I could throw together at nine in the evening. Grocery store was closed, Steve was having a tense moment on the phone with a friend of ours.

As usual, I deviated from the recipe, instead of the vegetables listed I used some frozen ones I had in the freezer, and chopped up a few cloves of garlic. It really didn't take that long to make. While it was simmering I threw together a couple simple salads. Used multi-grain spaghetti, for the pasta. Overall it came out very nicely. Nothing big or fancy, but as a meal it was good.

Sometimes it's more fun to just make things spur of the moment. A few nights ago we had pancakes on a whim. Some days I like planning ahead for meals, other days I like that spontaneity. Usually it's more apparent in the summer when days are longer and there's a farmers' market to supply fresh produce. Spontaneity is enjoyable, it jazzes life up a little, breaks away from the humdrum. Tonight we could have just run to a convenience store and grabbed some chicken nuggets or a frozen pizza. Or we could have just made spaghetti and used sauce from a jar, or maybe we could have just had Pop Tarts or something. Instead we decided to take some time to cook dinner, even if it didn't take long it was still something thrown together that had good results. I'm not going to say that the sauce recipe I used was the greatest, it's okay, but it's something that can be thrown together quickly with things we usually have in our fridge. Damn I love ingenuity.

No comments: