Monday, December 24, 2007

(Insert Charlie Brown Yelp here)

Today was my first attempt a Large Holiday Dinner, and I botched it.  Not utterly but botched none the less.  My former roommate and his girlfriend came up to have dinner and receive our gifts to them.  They ended up receiving the gifts first, then dinner in take out containers due to time constraints.  At least they liked the gifts.

The meal was Roasted Chicken with Honey Glazed Sweet potatoes, Stuffing (out of the box), Carrots (from a bag), Cranberry Juice, Gravy (packet).  Courtney was expected to be home anytime between 9:30 and 10 PM so I started with cutting the Sweet Potatoes at 8:20.  (I appear to have turned German by capitalizing all or most of my Nouns).  This takes not the five minutes I had predicted.  and the glaze (which was a mixture of honey, a pinch of salt and melted butter) took even longer to make.   By the time I had the chicken in cooking, it was already 9:00,  After starting on the other listed Items, I had them on the burners holding their own heat until the potatoes were done at 9:30.  We sat until about 10:50 for the bird to cook to 187 degrees.  I had the oven at 350 F, but at 10:20 ish I turned it up to 425.

I feel horrible for not being able to eat with them,  but in the end,  The food is still warm, and it still tastes good.

On another plus side, We're having it with a Chateau Cambon La Pelouse 2004 from the Thanksgiving Gift pack distributed from Wine Library.

And the other good note was that it was the first time making my own seasoning for the chicken.  An impromptu combination of olive oil, seasoned salt, balsamic vinegar and ground pepper.

It's too bad that we are really tired.  Merry Christmas!

No comments: